Lawyer of Accused Kenosha Shooter Resigns From Protection Fund – NBC Los Angeles

0
25
Lawyer of Accused Kenosha Shooter Resigns From Defense Fund – NBC Los Angeles

A lawyer representing a 17-year-old accused of shooting three people during a protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin, has resigned from a defense fund that has raised more than $ 700,000 to help his client and to defend conservative ends.

Attorney John Pierce is defending Kyle Rittenhouse against willful murder charges for killing two people and injuring a third in a night of rioting last month after police shot and killed Jacob Blake, a black man paralyzed from the waist down.

Pierce said he resigned from the #FightBack Foundation fund that raised money to defend Rittenhouse in order to avoid any "semblance of conflict," USA Today reported. Pierce and his firm, Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht, have been accused of defaulting millions of dollars owed to investors according to court records.

Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers spoke at a news conference Thursday about the riots in Kenosha, the day after police arrested a 17-year-old for shooting racial justice protesters. Evers was accompanied by the Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin and the National Guard as they discussed maintaining peaceful protests.

Pierce admitted in New York court documents earlier this year that he failed to pay Karish Capital $ 4 million on cash advances to Pierce's firm, which also has a very high payment of $ 65 million for another investor, the newspaper reported .

Pierce and Lin Wood, another attorney who picked up high-profile cases championed by Conservatives, launched the fund in early August. The fund is described as a way of "bringing lawsuits to investigate the lies of the left".

Pierce has argued that Rittenhouse was acting in self-defense when he shot the three people on August 25 during a third night of protests against the shooting of Blake two days earlier, which was captured on cellphone video and posted online.

The Rittenhouse case has become a political hotspot. During his visit to Kenosha on Tuesday, President Donald Trump made a report contradicting that alleged by prosecutors, falsely implying that the teenager did not shoot the men until after he tripped and they attacked him.

Wood, who now controls the foundation, said Pierce would receive reimbursement for his work in defense of Rittenhouse.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here