BUFFALO, NY (AP) – Harvey Weinstein's attorneys and Los Angeles prosecutors have agreed to postpone the extradition trial that charges the jailed former film producer with sexual assault citing the coronavirus pandemic.
Weinstein, who is serving a 23-year sentence for rape and sexual assault against two women, appeared on videoconference from prison in a Buffalo courtroom on Friday. The extradition hearing was postponed to December 11th.
The Los Angeles District Attorney's Office approved the delay due to the pandemic, a spokesman said. Weinstein, 68, survived a fight with the coronavirus earlier this year while he was held in a maximum security prison near Buffalo.
Weinstein only answered a few yes or no questions during Friday's hearing, said Kaitlyn Munro, a spokeswoman for Erie District Attorney John J. Flynn.
He faces similar sexual assault charges in Los Angeles as well as several women accusing him of sexual abuse. He has denied all allegations against him.
A Weinstein spokesman declined to comment.
Weinstein is imprisoned in the Wende correctional facility with maximum security east of Buffalo.