Protesters Shot at by Rubber Bullets in Los Angeles

A federal officer spreads a chemical irritant at a group of demonstrators during a Black Lives Matter protest at the Mark O. Hatfield United States Courthouse Sunday in Portland, Oregon. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

LOS ANGELES (CNS) – At least three people recovered on Sunday after being injured in police confrontations during several demonstrations in downtown Los Angeles.

All three suffered minor injuries and were taken to hospital for treatment by the Los Angeles Fire Department, according to Margaret Stewart.

Protesters who supported the two-month police protest movement in Portland, Oregon, smashed windows and sprayed slogans at the Metropolitan Detention Center and threw items at officials during a federal court confrontation.

What you need to know

  • At least three people recovered after being injured in police confrontations
  • All three suffered minor injuries and were taken to hospitals for treatment, the authorities said
  • The protesters were in solidarity with the protesters in Portland, Oregon
  • Some smashed windows and spray-painted slogans at the Metropolitan Detention Center and threw objects at officials

Two separate demonstrations began outside the City Hall of Los Angeles on Saturday, one by the Refuse Fascism group as part of an ongoing series of demonstrations against the government of President Donald Trump, the other by the Youth Liberation Front.

The youth liberation campaign was part of a full-day campaign in more than 30 cities to support demonstrators in Portland, Oregon who have demonstrated daily against police brutality and systemic racism since May 29 and have been in conflict with federal forces since early July.

All Los Angeles police officers remained on duty as part of a citywide tactical warning after the end of the shift, and many were sent downtown to protest.

After leaving Los Angeles City Hall at around 5:30 p.m., the crowd marched to the Los Angeles Police Department main building on First Street and Main Street.

There they shouted at the two officers at the front desk while someone sprayed red X on display cases with LAPD badges.

The demonstrators continued to the northeast and held homemade signs made of items such as boogie boards and Amazon packaging with phrases such as "SAY YOUR NAME", "BLACK LIFE ARE LOVED" and "COPS ARE BAD MMKAY".

There was Trump / Pence now! Rectangles held up by

The bold lettering on these signs in the foreground visually blended into the Geffen Contemporary facade of the Museum of Contemporary Art in the background, created by Barbara Kruger, who created the piece to "control, loyalty, hope, fear and To address uses. " and abuse of power. "

Several demonstrators carried black flags, some with nothing on them, and at least one with the anarchist letter "A".

By the time the group reached the Metropolitan Detention Center, the protest had remained largely peaceful.

But in federal prison, some protesters lifted things up and smashed three windows – one inside, one smashed -, FTP, an anti-police slogan, written over neighboring windows, and part of it obscured the facility's emblem Spray paint.

Down in the street, a protester held a sign that reads FEDS GO HOME in purple, indicating the importance of targeting a federal building after the Trump administration expanded crackdown on protests from Portland to Chicago.

Trump has threatened to send federal law enforcement agencies to other cities, but there was no evidence of such a response during the Los Angeles protests on Saturday.

A label on the building said "Build the new world today" with an anarchist "A" underneath.

The security guards at the entrance examined the damage, but did not try to defend against demonstrators, and there were no LAPD officers present. A few minutes after their arrival, the demonstrators made their way to the Hollywood (101) freeway.

At the southern junction on Garey Street, the LAPD, with the support of the California Highway patrol officers, responded when the first police helicopter appeared above him.

John Cook from the LAPD's Northeast Division estimated the crowd at 150 people.

"Very loud," Cook said of the demonstration. "Very lively – but peaceful. And we are not – we do not deny the LAPD to a person to exercise their right to protest after the First Amendment. We are only making sure that this is done in a peaceful manner."

The crowd passed the freeway and then walked along Northbound 101, blocking all lanes before exiting at two separate junctions and on several streets of the city to the US District Court at 350 W. First St.

After the demonstrators started hurling stones and bottles of water at the front doors, a handful of LAPD officers came out of the northern corner of the building and jumped straight down the stairs into projectiles containing several objects filled with water and at least one orange.

Other officers arrived, and several officers aimed non-lethal firearms directly at demonstrators, in some cases up close, rather than at the ground in front of them as required by the department's regulations.

The video of the confrontation seemed to show an officer shooting a non-lethal round directly into the crowd that had already been pushed back onto the sidewalk.

About a minute and a half later, when the police struggled to arrest at least three people, another officer fired a non-lethal round directly northwest into the crowd in the middle of First Street.

A demonstrator lying on the ground reached for an officer's non-lethal firearm when the male officer tried to hold it.

Another officer pushed a protester several times and hit the person holding a bicycle up for protection without being provoked by anything other than words.

Sgt. Luis Contreras said firing non-lethal rounds is the normal response to such a situation.

"We were hit by stones, bottles and screwdrivers, and they broke the glass – that's why," he said. "We didn't try. We didn't want to, but it just got too dangerous."

He passed red graffiti that said BACON GET FRIED, the last word underlined before entering the courthouse and speaking to US marshals who had helped protect the building.

A lively female inmate with blood on her face pretended to spit on the officials she said would have threatened to put her in prison if she did.

"You attacked my wife," said another Los Angeles prisoner, Robert McQueen, when medics judged him. "I defended them. They attacked me because I defended them."

His wife, Roxanne McQueen, was spread out in her burgundy sweater and dark hair on the sidewalk. Three paramedics from the Los Angeles Fire Department looked after the nurse when her husband was led into an ambulance.

The demonstrators continued to march toward another federal building in the northeast and back to City Hall when the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputies, California Highway Patrol officials and Los Angeles police officers formed various lines in strategic positions.

A LAPD officer stationed in front of the Armed Forces headquarters in downtown said the police believed there were Antifa members in the crowd.

No one had been arrested until late Saturday, even though the police were looking for someone to attack an official, he said.

A reporter near the town hall said the police mostly broke up at 11 p.m.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here