Orange County officials warned residents that a dangerous sex offender against boys should be released and urged the California governor to intervene.
59-year-old Cary Jay Smith was due to be released from a state hospital where he had been in the past 20 years. He was due to return to Orange County, where he once lived after the hospital failed to renew the stop on July 11, 2020.
Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer and Orange County Board Chair Michelle Steel asked Governor Gavin Newsom for a plea on Tuesday.
"This sexual predator has repeatedly sworn under oath that if he is released, he will be insulted again and we should believe him," said Spitzer.
In 2002, Spitzer tried to file 20 minor and lascivious offenses against Smith with a minor. The statute of limitations had expired, officials said.
Smith was brought to Patton State Hospital in San Bernardino in 1999 after his wife at the time revealed a letter that Smith allegedly wrote to a psychiatrist. In the letter, he reportedly described the fantasy of raping a 7-year-old boy on the Costa Mesa.
After hospitalization, Smith was brought to court every six months to see if he was still a danger to society.
During the trial, Smith's testimony revealed that he allegedly likes to be called "Mr. RTK", which stands for rape, torture and killing.
During the hearings, he also said that he molested about 200 boys and killed three, officials said. It was not clear whether these claims were ever substantiated.
Finally, Smith pleaded guilty to a 1985 sexual offense and had to register as a sex offender. Registration was removed in 2005, officials said.
Smith was brought to the Coalinga State Hospital. He was due to be released back to Orange County, where he lived 20 years ago.
Spitzer and Steel called for Governor Newsom to intervene and Smith to be re-registered as a sex offender.
“After over 20 years in prison, the Coalinga State Hospital released Cary Jay Smith, a sex offender from Orange County, back into our community. Smith, an unstable individual, has openly threatened to rape and murder children and has said he would insult him again if he was released, ”Steel said. “The fact that he will be released back into our community is incomprehensible. We need to take this threat to our community very seriously and ensure that everyone in Orange County is aware of the serious threat this person poses to our children. "
Newsom hadn't answered yet.